GVSF Reserved Teachers
GVSF RESERVED TEACHERS
What is a Reserved Teacher?
- Section 58 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 requires the appointment in Voluntary controlled (VC) schools of teachers who are able to provide religious education in accordance with the requirements of the Trust Deed of the school or in accordance with the tenets of the relevant religion or denomination.
- Where the number of teachers at a foundation or voluntary-controlled school with a religious character is more than two, the teachers must include persons who are selected for their fitness and competence to teach religious education in accordance with the school’s trust deed or with the tenets of the school’s religion and are specifically appointed to do so.
- These teachers are called Reserved Teachers.
What is denominational religious education?
- There is no definition in the Act of denominational religious education but in practice it means any religious education provided in accordance with the requirements of the Trust Deed of the school and that is not the Locally Agreed Syllabus. Reserved Teachers may of course teach the Agreed Syllabus but that is not the purpose of their status.
Why is the provision of denominational religious education required?
- Because parents have the right to request it. The norm in VC Church of England schools is that RE is provided according to the Locally Agreed Syllabus. Reserved Teachers are not needed for this. However, parents may request denominational religious education and the governing body must make it available. Reserved Teachers are appointed in order that suitable persons are available should parents request this provision.
The appointment of Reserved Teachers:
As a Federation of Church Schools, it is important to emphasise that all our teachers are able to deliver our Religious Education Curriculum. If required within the Grantham Villages' C of E Primary Schools Federation with the approval of the Full Governing Board on Wednesday 8th December 2021, the appointed Reserved Teachers are:
- Mr Ian Woolerton - RE Lead at Marston Thorold's Charity C of E Primary School
- Mrs Helen Copson - RE Lead at St. Sebastian's C of E Primary School