All lessons build on prior learning and teachers support children to learn and remember more through:
- Use of progression framework to form the key knowledge documents across the school
- A knowledge organiser which outlines sticky knowledge (including vocabulary) all children must master via low stakes testing.
- A focus on key geographical skills and practices that children develop and progress with as they move through the school with opportunities to develop content knowledge alongside process knowledge
- Completion of a pre and post assessment to elicit prior knowledge and understanding on which to build learning and encourage children to pose questions and spark their curiosity
- A cycle of lessons for each topic, which carefully plan for progression and depth
- Elaborative questioning to challenge pupils to apply their learning in a range of ways
- Trips and visits from experts who will enhance the learning experience
- Opportunities to access and use a range of quality resources with an emphasis on practical investigation, encouraging children to find answers to questions they raise
- Specialist vocabulary for topics taught and built up
- Opportunities for curriculum adaptation and challenge, pre teaching and interventions for those children who may require it, including those with SEN, throughout a topic or prior to a new topic being taught.